A Deposit Return Scheme (DRS) for drinks containers (bottles and cans) is expected to be introduced in England from 2022
What is it and when will it take effect?
- Deposit placed on drink containers at point of retail sale in England and Wales
- Deposit can be reclaimed by consumer upon return of empty container
- Likely to have impact on littering reduction and theoretical waste value chain benefits
- Cost implications concerning – majority of cost benefit relies on “Disamenity of Litter”
- Disamenity makes up £986m a year of benefits £1098m theorised benefit.
- Planned for introduction from 2022
Our Policy Leader Martin Hyde provides a quick video summary of what a deposit return scheme is, what the current standing is on these in the UK and also the potential impacts of a deposit return scheme on businesses.