The UK Plastic Tax is a taxation policy introduced as part of the 2018 Resources and Waste Strategy by the government. In 2019 it was consulted on and reaffirmed as part of the budget early in 2020 and a further consultation closed on 20 August 2020
The aim of the tax is to encourage recycled content to be used in plastic packaging placed on the UK market.
- Applies from April 2022
- Latest consultation closed 20 August 2020
- Payable at £200 per tonne
- Applies to plastic packaging manufactured in or imported in to the UK
- Businesses must demonstrate 30% recycled content or pay the tax
- Minimum threshold "de-minimus of 10 tonnes"
- Money goes into UK central fund
To download our UK Plastic Packaging Tax fact sheet please click here
To download our UK Plastic Packaging Tax FAQ's please click here
Quantify and Mitigate your Plastic Tax Liability - we support liable businesses, ensuring you know what you need to do and Comply Direct can support with calculating potential plastic tax liability and reducing future plastic tax costs.