0844 873 1034

Are you aware of the S2 Waste Exemption?

3rd March 2017

The S2 Waste Exemption allows you to store waste at a secure place, different to where the waste was produced and before the waste is transported to a recovery site.

Types of activity you can carry out

You can carry out the two following activities:

  • Storing construction and demolition waste
  • Storing olive pulp and marble chips

This is because these two types of waste can be kept without treatment, at an intermediate site before being moved to another place to be recovered (pulp/chips) or reused (demolition waste).

Types of activity you can't carry out

You cannot carry out the following activities:

  • Treat waste under this exemption and store waste destined to be disposed of as you will need a related permit. Additionally, you cannot store mixed waste or mixed hazardous with non-hazardous waste.

You also cannot:

  • Register this exemption to increase the storage capacity at the place where another treatment exemption such as T1, T4, T11 or a U activity is carried out.

Related Exemptions

T1: Cleaning, washing, spraying or coating relevant waste

T2: Recovering textiles

T3: Preparatory treatments, such as bailing, sorting, shredding

S1: Storing waste in secure containers

There are some key conditions of this exemption:

  • Each type of waste much be stored separately
  • The storage must take place at a secure place
  • The storage of the waste is pending its recovery elsewhere
  • Each waste shall not be stored for longer than the specified time period

The additional specific conditions outlined below only apply to some specified types of waste:

Aqueous paint related waste only must be stored in a container with secondary containment.

Waste batteries must be stored in a container with the storage place having sealed drainage. Additionally, any waste glass must be stored in as storage place that has sealed drainage as well.

Waste paper and cardboard (excluding food and drink cartons) must be stored in a baled form, in a container or indoors with a quantity limit specific and despite this additional specific condition, up to 1,000 tonnes may be stored outdoors as long as it is stored in an enclosure designed and maintained to prevent litter escaping.

In terms of storing WEEE, you must comply with the requirements in paragraph 1 of Annex III to the WEEE Directive; this means storage on an impermeable surface and with weatherproof covering where you are storing WEEE containing hazardous materials or fluids and where storing whole appliances that are to be reused. Additionally, waste printer cartridges must be stored indoors.

Scrap metal must be stored in a place that has sealed drainage and the waste is stored at a dock before being exported or after being imported.

Related permits

You will need an environmental permit if you want to store:

  • Waste at an intermediate site for treatment or use not covered in related exemptions or under a permit for recovery
  • Mixed waste at an intermediate site for treatment
  • Waste prior to disposal

Find out more at environmental permits for waste. Click here.

Waste Codes

Waste codes are very important and are those listed in the List of Wastes (LoW0 Regulations). These waste codes are existent to help make sure you identify your waste with the correct waste codes and descriptions. Click this link to view the table with all the waste codes, waste descriptions and storage limits.

Register an S2 exemption

You will need to register this exemption with the government if you meet the requirements. Click here to register.