The Environment Agency has released the Q4 unverified packaging reycling data.
Our expert team have anaylsed this, however, the data released at this stage is unverified and we will be publishing a full update upon release of the verified date when it is released on 31 March
Please note – PRNs generated in December can be used in either the year they are generated or the following compliance year. ‘Carry-in’ PRNs are PRNs generated in December that were not required in the compliance year they were raised in so they are carried forward for use in the following year. The 2nd graph above includes the carry-in PRN’s for each material.
Comply Direct's expert data analysts have reviewed the released data and have concluded the following:
- Paper - Q4 tonnages are currently showing an increase on the quarterly average in 2017 with 140% of the total UK recycling target reached, with carry over levels improved from last years by 3,635 tonnes.
- Glass - Both glass remelt and glass other are showing reduced recycling levels in Q4 compared to the monthly average of 2017. It is reaching its overall target of 104%, with carry over levels down from last year.
- Aluminium - Showing similar recycling levels as the rest of 2017, with 112% of target reached.
- Steel - Showing similar recycling levels as the rest of 2017, with 127% of target reached. However carry over levels are down by 7,000 tonnes.
- Plastic - Perfomed well in Q4, with 109% of the total UK recycling target reached.
- Wood - Showing similar recycling levels as the rest of 2017, with 178% of target reached.
- EfW - This is showing good levels of recycling in Q4.
The unverified data published suggests that wood may struggle in 2018 and paper, plastic and glass are ones to keep an eye on as we get the verified data at the end of month.
In 2017 surplus generated from paper, steel and wood have made up the overall general recyling requirements.
It must be noted there are still reprocessors and exports to report their figures and the data released at this stage is still unverified and we will be publishing a full update upon release of the final verified data when it is released on 31 March.
If you have any questions about the data, please don't hesitate to contact our packaging team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01756 794 951.