Make a positive impact on the planet with packaging extended producer responsibility compliance
In 2023, some businesses must comply with the Producer Responsibility Obligations (Packaging Waste) Regulations 2007 and the transition year of packaging Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR).
The packaging regulations aim to reduce the amount of packaging produced, reduce how much packaging waste goes to landfill, and increase the amount of packaging waste recycled in the UK. Packaging producers meeting certain thresholds (see below!) must comply with legal responsibilities to support in achieving these aims and play their part in creating a more sustainable world for all.
Extended Producer Responsibility builds on the current legislation by introducing a further obligation for large organisations supplying packaging material on the market to pay the full net costs of the collection, sorting, recycling, and disposal of household packaging. Additionally, under EPR, a lower threshold has been introduced to integrate smaller producers (small organisations) into the packaging compliance system.
The definition of “Packaging” is anything made of any materials for the containment, protection, handling, delivery, and presentation of goods from producer to the user or consumer.
Are you obligated?
To be obligated under the regulations as a large organisation, businesses must meet or exceed two thresholds:
- A turnover of more than £2 million, and;
- Exceed 50 tonnes or more of packaging supplied to the market annually.
To be obligated under the regulations as a small organisation, businesses must meet or exceed two thresholds:
- A turnover of more than £1 million, and:
- Exceed 25 tonnes or more of packaging supplied to the market annually.
Producers that meet or exceed this lower threshold are only obligated for reporting their packaging data, they have no financial obligation like those obligated by the higher threshold.
Comply Direct made the changeover to their scheme simple and stress free and we haven't looked back; we're delighted with their service
John Lewis Partnership
Why Comply Direct
Join our circle of members today, to be part of the UK’s second largest, government approved packaging compliance scheme. At Comply Direct, we offer a smarter way to fulfil your packaging obligation, and as a B Corp accredited scheme, we support you in your endeavours to create a brighter tomorrow. All packaging compliance members with us receive the following benefits:
- Dedicated Account Manager
- On hand data experts
- Completion of Environment Agency data submissions
- Regular updates on policy and regulatory reforms
- Advanced online membership account
- Fulfilment of your legal obligation
- Reviews of data collection processes to increase efficiency
- Free webinars on a host of environmental topics
- Discounts across other Comply Direct services
- Support with Environment Agency audits
- Downloadable compliance support documents
- Annual compliance certificates
- Free policy and PRN market update newsletters
- Free use of the Green Dot symbol in the UK
- Access to a wide range of services to achieve other environmental aspirations.
We're passionate about giving businesses confidence in meeting their environmental obligations and we are ready to support organisations obligated under the lower EPR thresholds (see thresholds above). We help companies understand how they are affected under EPR and what steps they need to take for ensuring timely compliance.
Our pioneering data management service provides the full support small organisations will require to ensure accurate packaging handled data gathering and reporting to the regulator.
Get started today
If you are a large organisation and wish to try us out, register for a trial membership. Alternatively, get moving today and become an esteemed member of Comply Direct! All you need to do is complete our online membership form.
For small organisations needing EPR support, please get in touch directly with our solutions team on the button below!